Blogger Templates

Pages

Monday 13 August 2012

NORMAL SERVICE HAS BEEN RESUMED

Hi everyone

Well, it only lasted for one week, but I knew that it would be hard to break a habit, so my chatty post is back to its normal posting day of Sunday (Yes, I know today is Monday, but I lost track of time).  I found it hard to put time into posting on Tuesday and although last week was extra busy, it is something that I know I will find hard to do normally (very busy tomorrow, I know I would not be able to post then).  My plan is to arrange my Sunday post as first part for Handmade Monday (HM) and the remainder will be the chatty catch-up post.  That way the HM contributors will not have to get bogged down in non-craft-related chat.

Section 1: A crafters life for me

I spent most of last week working on my wedding invitation order.  The week included three nights of working from early morning until gone midnight to ensure I kept to the deadline that I had set myself - and agreed with the bride and groom.  Finally completed everything at the crack of dawn yesterday morning (well, a little later actually) and the bride and groom collected their invitations in the afternoon and I am pleased to say they like them.  You know how it is, we are hypercritical of our own work and are always somewhat surprised when it is complimented.  Why do we do this to ourselves?

This is a photograph of the finished invitation.  The invitation is a pocket with orange ribbon and a diamanté buckle around it; around the half circle at the top are diamonds (I wish!).  On the front are two sections of purple card with cream card on top - the top one has the couples initials and wedding date (covered in this pic) and the bottom one has the name of the invitation.  Inside is a purple card which has cream card on both sides - one side is the invitation, the reverse is information about the venue, church, etc.  A matching ribbon pull has been added to the insert.  Finally, I made supports for the back of the pockets so that they could be stood up.


This week sees the start of making the Orders of Service - these are similar in design to the invitations in that they have an orange ribbon and diamanté buckle on the left hand side.

I am very late with my Handmade Monday/chatty Sunday post, but don't forget to visit the other contributors to Handmade Monday.  Lots of great blog posts to read.

Section 2: Non-stop chat - almost

Did you watch the Olympics closing ceremony?  What a spectacular end to a truly amazing event.  To go through all of those times and parts that brought tears to my eye would mean a very, very long post, but I am sure they were the same for many of you.  How about the runner who continued even though he had suffered a broken leg!  Believe me, having broken a leg about 4 years ago, I can assure you that running was the last thing I was able to do!  And we still have the Paralympics to come - I am sure there will as many tear-jerking moments at this event as there has been in the last two weeks.

Did you manage to catch my Friday Guest Blog?  Rich Little of Bloggabase wrote about his new website that is for bloggers of all types of blogs - it's a really great idea and I hope it takes off very soon.  Do have a look and join.  Rich is looking for at least 2,000 members before going live, and at the last count he had just over 1,000, so half way there.

Most of my time last week was spent on work, work, work.  Great to have orders and I received two more yesterday for a Ruby Wedding anniversary card and one for a 65th birthday.  I want to get everything, including Orders of Service, completed this week as Richard is on leave next week, and don't want to be working while he is lounging!  I am hoping it will be third time lucky for him weather-wise as the last two breaks have seen heavy rain most days - he is getting a complex.

I had lunch today with a couple of friends at Elstead Mill.  We reviewed the Olympics and decided we needed to do some form of sport/exercise, but agreed hurdles and the pole-vault were definitely not on our list of possibles.  Up to a few years ago I used to regularly play golf, so that was a possible one for the list; we also thought we might try rowing.  I will let you know how (and if) these sporty plans develop.

I have a lovely guest blog post on Friday of this week, so don't forget to check back.  As I am back into my usual blogging pattern, I will be back with a mini post on Wednesday.

I hope you enjoy this week and if you want to be a guest blogger, please do get in touch: christmaspiecradfts@virginmedia.com (many thanks to my previous bloggers for promoting this on their blog posts).

Jill

24 comments:

  1. Hi Jill, I for one am very pleased with normal service. Love your chatty blogs and crafty notes.
    I do wish that R wouldn't take leave in the summer - you know what happened last time. It rained, and we both got stung by bees ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lesley - it's good to be back. A temporary spot of blogging insanity. Oh, yes, had forgotten the stings - I will ask him to whisper his holiday plans to anyone. Would you believe that as another slight complication cropped up on Richard's hand, he has had to wait until this week for a blood test!

      Delete
  2. yay! I was getting concerned :)The card look great so proffesional. I know what you mean about being hypercritical, I have been attacked by my inner critic this week. Glad you have decided to be chatty again! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure why we do it to ourselves - perhaps because we know the things we should have done, but somehow missed and therefore feel sometimes unhappy with our work. Oh dear.

      Delete
  3. That's one busy week.

    I have to be honest and say I was one of the few that had no love for the olympics. But that's mainly due to being in London the whole time. I live right next to the clay shooting arena. Hear *bang bang* from 9 untill 5 got to me in the end.

    Lovely invites. The ribbon/buckle really make the piece. Must be happy to know your late nights didn't go to waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine it must have driven you barmy - peace and quiet now I hope

      Delete
  4. Welcome back to being your true self, so much better.
    Well done on getting all those invitations done and they look wonderful. Notice the bride chose orange the 'In' colour for this year.

    Done rowing and sailing before, tell you what does lose the weight horse riding, very good for the behind, legs and arm muscles not to mention tum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my younger days, not so long ago of course, used to swim a lot and we played tennis. Swimming is great exercise and we did talk yesterday about possibly going regularly. At the moment, it is just talk though.....

      Delete
  5. The invitations look lovely - those doubs somehow seem harder to deal with when you're working to commission. It's so lovely to get positive feedback, though, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, you are right. When we are making stock items it does seem easier to be happy with out work -making for a client is very hard. have we interpreted their requirements correctly? Will they like it? Very difficult.

      Delete
  6. Love your invitation very elegant, i too loved the olympics i'm quite sad now its finished, have a good week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris. Not sure what we will do with al the spare time now the Olympics are over - we have square eyes.

      Delete
  7. The invitation looks very posh and I like the orange ribbon going across. The finale of the Olympics was a grand affair. I thought Boris dancing was funny, but showed how much he was enjoying himself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he certainly enjoyed himself but wonder how he felt later on when he saw himself on the television?

      Delete
  8. This is my second attempt at posting. Comment so wish me luck!
    When you write a blog I think you have to give it some personality, and that means sharing some of you. Certainly no complaints on the chatty side of your blog from me!
    I'm pleased the bride and groom were happy with the invitations. Lots of hard work there, welll done! Have a good week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done Helen and thank you. Sometimes blogs through me out for no apparent reason - very frustrating. Glad you like my chatty stuff.

      Delete
  9. I love the wedding invitation.It looks so classy and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - ploughing through Orders of Service now

      Delete
  10. I love the invitation, I'm not surprised at all that they liked them, but I know what you mean. It's why I don't make things to sell, I'm never ever satisfied with what I've made and cant' imagine anyone wanting to actually buy it (altho sometimes a long time later I'll see something I did and think, "why, that's not bad at all!")
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true - often you go back and look at something and wonder why you doubted how good it was. Are we perfectionists of just lack self-confidence?

      Delete
  11. Those invitations are lovely! I am in awe of your talent. Funny, isn't it? No matter how much the rest of us love your work, it's how you feel about it yourself that is important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rumpy. That is very true and there is always part of you that doesn't quite feel the finished item is good.

      Delete
  12. your invitations look fab and good feedback undoubtedly deserved, especially after all the work you have put in!

    the Olympics have been very emotive for me too :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Hard to believe the Olympics are over - a great time for evryone

      Delete

Thank you for your comment - it is always lovely to have feedback and I hope you enjoyed my post.